Satterlee Stephens LLP has a long history of legal representation in cases involving major decisions regarding intellectual property, copyright and rights of publicity. As we have represented every facet of these cases, we also understand the important role intellectual property plays in advancing the interests of business. We bring together skill and experience in corporate transactions, litigation and trademark prosecution.
The Intellectual Property Services We Provide
We provide representation to businesses regarding extremely complex intellectual property matters, including:
- Advertising: We offer our clients practical advice on intellectual property issues faced by advertisers and advertising agencies alike. We counsel clients to help them navigate the fast-moving world of social media, blogs and new mobile platforms as well as more traditional media in connection with the right of publicity, copyright and trademark issues raised by advertising as well as content and claims substantiation, endorsement issues and sweepstakes compliance.
- Copyrights: Leading media companies, technology companies, consumer products companies, advertisers, financial institutions and industrial concerns rely on Satterlee Stephens LLP for copyright litigation, transactions and counseling. We have handled hundreds of traditional copyright disputes and DMCA matters involving text, software, images, video, music and product designs. We counsel clients concerning licensing and fair use of others' copyrighted works in matters ranging from quoting a few lines of poetry to automated data scraping. The Firm has been the copyright attorneys for poets and computer programmers, digital publishers and book publishers, Fortune 500 companies and individual artists. We regularly assist with registration of copyrights, pre-publication review and clearance of rights for new media and old. And Satterlee Stephens LLP is often selected by media perils insurers to defend their insureds in copyright matters.
- Defamation defense: Our lawyers bring decades of litigation experience to the trying of defamation cases. The attorneys at Satterlee Stephens LLP understand media laws and the goals of media outlets when delivering the news, media members' rights and privileges when it comes to defamation claims and the costs of litigation. Accounting for these factors and others, we will work for the best possible and most cost-effective resolution of every claim.
- Patents: Our attorneys understand the complexity of patent laws and have significant experience assisting individuals, small businesses and major corporations assert their rights regarding a particular product or invention. We both defend your rights to use a patent, and we also take the necessary steps to prevent infringement upon an invention that is rightfully yours.
- Reporters' rights and newsgathering liability: Today the media are faced with an increasing number of claims arising from the way that information and images are gathered. Satterlee Stephens LLP works with editors, producers, reporters, photographers and authors to enhance newsgathering capabilities and to respond to the questions concerning access to computer records, undercover reporting, ride-alongs with police, venturing onto private property to follow a breaking story, and many fast-breaking, one-of-a-kind situations. We regularly defend against efforts by litigants in civil and criminal cases to subpoena news personnel and make them involuntary witnesses at depositions or trials. And when courts or government agencies seek to cloak their activities in secrecy, we take action for our clients to open the doors to the public and the press. We provide real-time counseling concerning real-world 21st century reporting.
- Trade secrets: We help you protect all confidential business information that helps keep your business competitive. This includes representing businesses of all sizes both within the United States and internationally. We understand what is at stake and utilize every legal option to ensure a favorable result for you, as we put in place internal safeguards to ensure legally enforceable confidentiality obligations. As seasoned litigators, our attorneys protect your interests in court if necessary. We also help you to enforce your protection rights in the event improper disclosure of a trade secret occurs.
- Trademark and brand management: We counsel domestic and foreign clients through the lifecycle of trademarks, from selection and adoption through registration, customs recordation and enforcement, licensing and infringement litigation in both the United States and abroad. We work with clients ranging from start-ups looking to protect their first mark to multinational consumer corporations with vast portfolios. We tailor our services to meet a client's needs, whether that means supporting an in-house team with filings, or handling all aspects of a portfolio.